Subject: Re: fxp0: device timeout
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/04/1999 08:54:03
On Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 10:39:54AM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> I've seen these 'device timeout' messages on a 1.3.2 system on heavy output
> traffic (about 200/300 Kbytes/s).

  Using ping -f -s <size> <otherhost> and xosview :), I forced
traffic at various rates.  At around 500KB/sec output, things
started getting bad.

  I upgraded the kernel and rebooted, and things look peachy!
We still get nfsd errors when the machine is doing 700KB/sec
output pings, but that's to be expected since there's no
bandwidth available on 10Mb Ethernet.  And the machine/nfs
recovers instantly once the ping flood is stopped.

  Thanks a lot!  It's weird that this hasn't bitten us in the
last 4 months.

  Brian