Subject: Re: fxp0: device timeout
To: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@orac.ece.utexas.edu>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 02/04/1999 10:39:54
On Feb 3, Brian C. Grayson wrote
>   Our x86 server (uptime of 117 days, running 1.3F -current from around
> June) just started flaking on us.  /var/log/messages is full of
> "fxp0: device timeout" and "nfsd send error 55" (No buffer
> space available).  Besides rebooting, is there any other way to
> fix this?  The machine is still up, so I might be able to do
> some debugging.  Right now it is responsive, but occasionally
> it stops responding for 10 minutes or more.

Did you try a 'ifconfig fxp0 down; ifconfig fxp0 up' ?
I've seen these 'device timeout' messages on a 1.3.2 system on heavy output
traffic (about 200/300 Kbytes/s).
I pulled up changes from current between revs 1.26 and 1.27, and this
fixed the problem.
I think you should be able to integrate the change without much trouble
with a -june current. I can send it you if needed, but I think you'd better
upgrade to the latest -current (or at last the latest snapshot).