Subject: Re: Feature idea...
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/02/1999 10:04:41
seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach) writes:
> Well, I'm stuck with a commute.  I alternate between staying at a friend's
> house (fixed IP address, gateway, and DNS, and a hostname in his domain)
> and being at a meeting (dhcp, no hostname, needs proxies).
>
> It would be really nice if there were a way to have the system pick a strategy
> on boot.

I don't see why that's really necessary if all you want is to work
correctly between those two environments.

if you get your friend to provide DHCP for you on his network, you can
easily get approximately the right thing to happen when you open your
laptop in any particular place.

for a long time i was doing that with ethernet at home and an
ethernet, then later a wavelan, at work.  never even shut down my
laptop, just suspended it.

solving the proxies (and other configuration) problem may be a bit
harder, depending on how you want that to be handled... but it's
something that could easily be driven by a hacked dhcp client script.

cgd