Subject: Danger, Will Robinson!
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/01/1999 14:46:56
I was just looking at my news server, and it was seriously low on swap
for some obscure reason.  (Probably because I only have 130MB on
wd0b.)  So I created a 500MB file (/scratch/swapfile) and added it to
the fstab.  Then I issued a "swapctl -A".

It said something very similar to:

"Adding nnn bytes of swap on /dev/sd0b."
"Adding nnn bytes of swap on /scratch/swapfile."

Hmm.  I expected the second line, but not the first.  So, being a
suspicious person, I ran "pstat -sk":

/dev/wd0b	131512	112884	18628
/dev/(null)	512000	1088	510912
/dev/wd0b	131512	1476	130036
TOTAL		775025	115448	659577

Umm.  At this point, I halted the machine and rebooted, because I
didn't want my pages of virtual memory to stomp all over each other.

So, does anybody know if this was truly a cause for alarm?  If so, how
should I go about fixing it?  I don't really want to see that happen
again, you see.  :)

Chris

--
Chris Jones                                          cjones@honors.montana.edu