Subject: Re: Large Disks / Clean Install
To: None <mcr@solidum.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 02/01/1999 11:59:52
On Jan 29, mcr@solidum.com wrote

>   Hmm. I have a 10Gb drive with Linux on it. It worked fine on a
> K6/266 ATX system, but was intended to go on our fileserver, a K6/200
> AT system. The AT system definitely got 19k/16/63 as parameters, and
> this royally messed up LILO. The ATX system got the same things and it
> didn't care.... so there is some kind of support in newer BIOSes for
> larger disks. I don't quite get it.
>   What pissed me off, and resulting n us leaving a 3Gb disk in as the
> boot disk was that even if I told the BIOS that I had 1024/63/256
> (instead of 1244/63/256) that it still didn't work. No... that's
> wrong. What really pissed me off was the way that LILO works.

Did the ATX system use 63/256 too ?
Did you use the same 'NORMAL/LBA/LARGE' option on both systems ?

> I sure
> want to teach libsa about ext2fs and make it able to load Linux
> kernels. That would also make upgrading our server to NetBSD much
> easier.

ext2fs in libsa should be quite easy. The problem is actually to pass
to the linux kernel all the fancy options you can set in lilo.
Our boot blocks only undertand a few one-letter options, and you can't assign
a value to them.