Subject: Re: Large Disks / Clean Install
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: None <drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: current-users
Date: 01/30/1999 15:12:14
perry@piermont.com said:
> > I sure
> > want to teach libsa about ext2fs and make it able to load Linux
> > kernels. That would also make upgrading our server to NetBSD much
> > easier.
>
> Actually, most of this was already implemented at one point. The
> original bootblocks Matthias wrote could boot other systems (including
> Linux I think)

There are only small pieces missing in the tree to boot
Linux kernels, and if you are interested I can send you these.
I'm still building boot ROMS for Linux, LynxOS and NetBSD
alone or a combination of them for my (pseudo-)embedded work.

> although I don't recall if they groked
> ext2fs

No, there is no ex2fs support.

The Linux boot was a quite hard work btw because the Linux
kernel did horrible things at this time like loading of segment
registers before setting up the GDT or enabling of interrupts
before initializing the interrupt controller. So the boot loader
has more to do than just loading the kernel and jumping to it...
I finally employed an ICE for the i386 to see where the kernel did
crash. (OK, an i386 expert wouldn't have needed it...)

best regards
Matthias