Subject: Re: IrDA?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de>
List: current-users
Date: 01/28/1999 13:33:35
> If IrDA isn't supported, has anyone played with the real IrDA protocol
> before?  I have written software for IrDA hardware, but using only a
> custom protocol (ie. hardware is IrDA compatible, but software isn't).
> I wonder if IrDA protocol could be implemented as a user-level protocol
> or if kernel support would be required..

 Depends on where the hardware is sittin atop. Onboard IrDa might require specific
kernel driver, external Receiver would require serial driver.

 Have a look at this: http://fsinfo.cs.uni-sb.de/~columbus/lirc
(Yes, Linux, but who cares)

 To my knowledge, only the Nokia 8810 (awfully small for my fingers :-) and Ericsson
SH888 are capable of IrDA and includes a build-in modem. The other mobiles require
specific (Windows) software.

--
Markus Illenseer