Subject: Re: DVD drives
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/26/1999 19:46:30
Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com> wrote:

>On 25 Jan 1999, Chris Jones wrote:
>
>: It looks like the big obstacle to getting DVD-RAM to work is going to
>: be finding software equivalent to cdrecord and mkisofs to drive it.  I
>: haven't been able to find any such stuff.  But then, maybe those would
>: work with a DVD; I know nothing of the format they use.
>
>cdrecord claims to be able to write DVDs.  Don't know how complete the
>support is.
>
>The filesystem format is still ISO9660 for DVD-ROM discs, just Bigger.
>Hence mkisofs and mkhybrid *should* still work.  :)

I thought DVD-ROM disks had more capacity than CDRs and CD-RWs.  If so
wouldn't this be a probem?  As far as I know there are no switches in
either mkisofs or mkhybrid to specify the size of the target volume, and
I know from personal experience both programs will complain if the output
is larger than about 650Meg.

-bob