Subject: Re: IBM drives vs Adaptec controllers/driver [was Re: 10G IBM ide hard disk]
To: Sean Doran <smd@ebone.net>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 01/23/1999 08:07:48
> I have yet to have my controller not puke when AHC_SCBPAGING_ENABLE is on.

ditto.  tried it once, it went kaboom.

> > Maybe there's some difference in the aic7880 firmware on your adaptec
> > card that's not in my on-board version....
>
> Maybe.  A colleague of mine was having pretty much the
> same problem (10MHz instead of 20) with his on-motherboard
> controller, whereas my PCI card controller negotiates
> 20MHz just fine.

For a system I built about a year and a half ago, it started (out of
the box) limiting the Ultra-Wide disks to 10MHz.  I had to go into the
SCSI BIOS menus to enable the 20MHz speed for each target.  It would
be nice (particularly for non-x86 platforms...) if the driver would
provide some way to do this for you..

					- Bill