Subject: Re: anyone else testing ELF on i386?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/22/1999 17:03:43
Jonathan Stone writes:

> >There are a few things preventing me from having a fully self hosting
> >ELF environment. (only a few are critical)
> >        * kernel builds fail, assembler error on ".s" files
> >        * src/gnu/dist/ld/emulparams/elf_i386.sh needs ELFSIZE=32
> >        * src/sys/arch/i386/stand won't build
> >        * src/gnu/usr.bin/gzip/match.S doesn't link, C version works.
>

> The last sounds like underscore-prepend  inconsistencies.
> Did you define -DNO_UNDERLINE?

Thanks, that fixed it.  Need to be on the CPP line for match.S, not
CPPFLAGS. :)

> The kernel problems may have the same cause.

Doesn't seem to be.  An example of the error is:
/tmp/ccNkhJ3A.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/ccNkhJ3A.s:6671: Error: unbalanced parenthesis in first operand.
[ about twenty more ]

One of the lines it complains about is:
        movb    imen + ((0) / 8),%al                    ;

I'm looking at locore.s trying to figure out what the original code
looks like.  :(

> Does the latest <machine/asm.h> have hooks to make _C_LABEL not
> prepend an underscore?  It shouldn't, for ELF.

Yes it appears to be correct.
Thanks again.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.