Subject: Re: anyone else testing ELF on i386?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/22/1999 21:31:28
In article <199901222103.QAA15760@ghost.whirlpool.com> gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com (Andrew Gillham) writes:

>Hello,
>
>I've been experimenting with Christos' cool ELF support for i386,
>and was wondering if anyone else is playing with it.

I was kind of hoping that someone else would lend a hand :-)

>I was able to build a full ELF toolchain, then rebuild all libs and
>then build ELF versions of just about everything.  There are a few
>problems, but I have a functional system with all ELF binaries.  I
>can't build a kernel, but I wasn't expecting to.

And shared libraries? I have not gotten that to work yet :-)
I still have problems with COPY relocations.
I've also kludged the interpreter to load at 0, because otherwise
it tries to reference relocatable symbols before it gets a chance
to relocate them.

>There are a few things preventing me from having a fully self hosting
>ELF environment. (only a few are critical)
>	* kernel builds fail, assembler error on ".s" files
What are the errors?

>	* src/gnu/dist/ld/emulparams/elf_i386.sh needs ELFSIZE=32
Hmm, I thought I committed that one.

>	* src/sys/arch/i386/stand won't build
Again what are the errors?

>	* src/gnu/usr.bin/gzip/match.S doesn't link, C version works.
Add:
	#ifdef __ELF__
	#define NO_UNDERLINE
	#endif

>Nothing is a real problem, other than I would like to build an ELF
>kernel if it is going to work.  Already it appears that there is some
>kind of ELF support in the booter?

I was planning to work on that after I got the shared library stuff
working. And after I got the elf kernel, I would go for the elf lkms.
I have not looked at the kernel/booter. It should be pretty easy to
fix though.

christos