Subject: Re: AMD on -current
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/18/1999 04:31:31
On Mon, Jan 18, 1999 at 09:54:37AM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> Well, I don't know if I use NFSv3 or NFSv2...

  Is there any definitive way to tell what an existing mount is
using:  v2/v3, and udp/tcp?  I did some poking around in statfs
and the source code for mount, but didn't see anything.  It looks
like that info is only known at mount time, and is forgotten as
soon as the initial connection with the daemon is set up?

  A tcpdump can show udp/tcp, and tcpdump can also show v2 versus
v3 if one does something like:  "echo a > foo; sync".  If you are
using v3, you can see the sync sending a commit RPC request, which
doesn't exist in v2.  But I wouldn't exactly call this
straightforward.

  According to this, we are using udp v3, and we don't use any
fancy options for protocol choice.  I'll try to re-verify
amd brokenness when I am at the console in the next day or two.

  Brian