Subject: Re: HEADS UP: nsswitch about to go `live' in NetBSD-current
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/17/1999 10:44:47
"Erik E. Fair" writes:
> NetBSD's default should reflect common usage. The common usage is "DNS,
> files" in that order. This should work when there isn't an nsswitch.conf.

I disagree for two reasons
* It will involve a hack for a specific database (in this case `hosts')
  in libc's nsdispatch(3). People may ask for similar hacks to support
  `passwd: compat  passwd_compat: nis' by default too.
  The nsdispatch(3) routines are designed to be generic, and I don't
  like the idea of having specific hardcoded fallbacks (besides the
  default `files') just to suit people.

* I've been in situations where the previous default of `lookup bind files'
  (if you didn't have a `lookup' line in resolv.conf) would bite you,
  and you'd have to wait until the name server timed out because
  you've specified a hostname somewhere and you can't lookup things
  until your network is fully operational.
  IMHO, for safety, you should put your critical addresses in /etc/hosts
  and have `hosts: files dns'.