Subject: Re: man$SECT/$PAGE.$SECT -> cat$SECT/$PAGE.0
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Not for internal consumption <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/14/1999 21:34:28
Todd Vierling sez:
/*
 * On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Not for internal consumption wrote:
 *
 * : I have here, after a little bit of scripting and experimentation,
 * : scripts to generate the cat$SECT/$PAGE.0 pages from the man pages,
 * : and lines to add into your /etc/man.conf file.  If there is sufficient
 * : interest, where should I send these?
 *
 * Are you saying that you have something that will `auto-write' a cat page,
 * given appropriate permission on man(1)?

...or on /usr/man/cat* [and other man/cat* hiers], Yep, that's what I'm
saying.

Ostensibly we will probably want to hack on man(1), directly, given the
nature of what I've had to do, but I was so far into this...um...hack,
that I just had to take it to completion.

If someone wants to make man(1) do the right thing, that'd be great,
too, but I finally have a solution which "works for me", and I'll be
happy to share it.

 *
 * --
 * -- Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com; Bus. todd_vierling@xn.xerox.com)