Subject: Re: What tools for serial console ?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/13/1999 10:44:55
Simon Burge writes:
>> At work I use Seyon for this purpose. I don't know offhand if there is

>Is this anything like rtty, which is a package?  We don't use rtty here,
>but we have tested it and if I were starting over it'd be my choice.

I use rtty on both NetBSD and a bunch of Sun's at work to provide serial
consoles.  On the mgt station we link tip to rtty's console so
folk just run tip and it works :-)

The _big_ advantages we found with tip were:
1/	We get console logs from all the bastions
2/	Multiple people can be "tip"ed onto a bastion's console
	at the same time.  I cannot stress how important that is.
	When you need to get onto a console in a hurry you don't
	want to be having to ring around the country to find out
	who is already on it and whether they are already fixing it
	etc.  With rtty you just tip "host" and can see for yourself.

I did have to patch ttysrv to strip parity (it is almost impossible
to get consistent parity out of a sun during boot :-)

--sjg