Subject: Re: building a userland interface to a kernel structure
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
From: dustin sallings <dustin@spy.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/12/1999 23:45:18
On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Greg A. Woods wrote:

// Of course you may find it easier in your application to just turn
// off reserved ports completely (and disable any applications that put
// any trust in such things).

	Like my mail system and web server?  It's trivial to get sendmail
to free its binding to port 25, and if some random user does that on my
shell machine and suddenly decides that *he's* the mail server now,
that'll be a problem for me.  Same for the web server, or ssh, etc...

--
Principle Member Technical Staff, beyond.com    The world is watching America,
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>