Subject: Re: What tools for serial console ?
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/12/1999 19:19:47
On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Herb Peyerl wrote:

> "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@quick.com.au>  wrote:
>  > 2/	Multiple people can be "tip"ed onto a bastion's console
>  > 	at the same time.  I cannot stress how important that is.
>  > 	When you need to get onto a console in a hurry you don't
>  > 	want to be having to ring around the country to find out
>  > 	who is already on it and whether they are already fixing it
>  > 	etc.  With rtty you just tip "host" and can see for yourself.
>
> mmmm, 'screen -D'. :-)

I still find rtty works a lot better, since you don't detach anybody
or anything; you just have multiple people on the console at the
same time if that's what you need. (It's very handy to have that
when you are at home and want to watch what someone at work is
doing.)

Also, rtty logs all output to a file as well as allowing interactive
connections to the daemon, so you can easily grep this, do automated
scans of it, archive it, etc.

I had a quick look at screen, and for this task it doesn't appear
to offer anywhere near the functionality that rtty offers.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org