Subject: Re: What tools for serial console ?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/12/1999 11:33:21
Personally, I like using my Macintosh Quadra 700 running MacOS 7.6.1 as a
serial console; I found two 4-port NuBus serial cards on the used market
(Applied Engineering QuadraLink; they're defunct), and just run MacTerminal
3.0 with lots of windows. The two big wins of this setup are effectively
infinite scroll-back (well, until the disk fills), and cut & paste - so I
can send the console output verbatim to others for analysis. I can even run
Netscape Navigator (slowly) on this beast to look things up. It makes a
great console.

To replicate this under UNIX, you'd want to use X with xterm for the
windows, and tip or cu to talk to the serial ports; tip has a mode
("script") to log everything. You may or may not also want to tell syslog
on the development host to send its log entries over your LAN to your
console system's syslog.

	Erik <fair@clock.org>