Subject: Re: Kernel panics in -current
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/10/1999 07:39:30
Bob,

I think this is the same panic that has been plaguing the Mac68k port
since early October.  I've got a similar configuration, two disks but
only one in use on a Mac IIci with 80MB RAM.  Kernels that are "wired"
to my configuration have similar panics, yet a GENERIC kernel works
reasonably well until it tries to run the /etc/daily job.  In all cases
the panic happens during periods of heavy disk I/O, but never quite in
the same place.

We're still scrambling madly to find this problem, but so far we've not
had much luck.

On Sun, 10 Jan 1999, Bob Nestor wrote:

> I tried installing the very latest snapshot on my 68k Mac and the kernel
> crashed.  The installation was done on a clean disk, i.e. not an upgrade
> from an old installtion.  The binaries are dated 1/2/99 (kernel and
> userland) based on sources from 1/2/99. The X components are dated
> 12/19/98.  Booting to single user works, but the kernel panics when going
> to multi-user.  Usually it's one of the system daemons that takes the
> system down, in this dump it was xdm.
>
> xdmuvm_fault(0x155420, 0x3faf6000,0,0x1) -> 0x1
>    type 8, code[mmu,,ssw]; 401074d
> trap type 8, code=0x401074d, v=0x3faf600c
> kernel progrram counter = 0xeb88e
> kernel: MMU fault trap
> pid = 134, pc = 000EB88E, ps = 2008, sfc = 1, dfc = 1
>
> traceback:
> _Debugger(2004,8,2f060,809bc4,1374bc) + 6
> _panic(1370bb,0,0,9,0) + 52
> _trap(8,401074d,3faf600c) + 23c
> faultstkadj(809d5c) + 0
> _lookup(809edc) + 0
> _namei(809edc) + 2e2
> _vn_open(809edc,1,0) + 168
> _sys_open(7e3138,809f88,809f80) + 7e
> _syscall(5) + 14c
> _trap0() + e
>
> This panic and traceback is very similar to the panic I get trying to
> install and run the standard 1.3.3 release on the same system.  In that
> case it's usually PPP that brings the system down.  I know UVM has been
> thourghly checked out on all the ports, but I've never been able to get a
> system built with it to run reliably on my hardware. My system is a 33Mhz
> 68030 with FPU and 20Meg of RAM.  Multiple disks, but this panic occured
> with only one disk configured and it has only three disk partitions -
> MacOS, NetBSD Root&Usr and NetBSD SWAP. The disk has been very reliable
> under NetBSD for years, and it has always worked with the NCR SCSI driver.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas about what's happening here?  Any suggestions?
>  Need any more info?
>
> thanks,
> -bob

| Paul Goyette      | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |