Subject: Re: /etc/rc out of order
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/07/1999 18:51:50
> Ohhhh, I don't know about that.  For the longest time now the only way to
> run NetBSD on the VAXstation 3100 series of systems has been by netbooting
> them.  Anyone who wanted to run NetBSD+pppd on those systems would have to
> do it with a diskless setup.  Yes, the situation is not the most common,
> but I don't think it should be disregarded entirely.

Okay.   If you're already running diskless, your network is set up
*before* /etc/netstart anyway, so there's no reason why you can't
mount /usr before running netstart.   The only case where you can't
mount /usr before running netstart is when you're booting off of a
disk, but mounting /usr from an NFS server.   So your example doesn't
preclude moving the mount of /usr to before netstart.

Right now we conditionally mount /usr if we're doing lkm's - why not
reverse that test and have people who need /usr mounted *after*
netstart specify that in /etc/rc.conf?  I suspect that the number of
installations that require that is significantly smaller than the
number of installations that would benefit from having /usr mounted
*before* netstart.

			       _MelloN_