Subject: Re: /etc/rc out of order
To: Christoph Badura <bad@ora.de>
From: None <drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: current-users
Date: 01/06/1999 20:25:17
bad@ora.de said:
> That gives us a different ordering problem, though, namely the case
> when a local FS should be mounted on a directory of a remote FS.
>
> I wouldn't know why I would want to do that, but maybe someone depends
> on this.

I regularely do this - mount a ram disk onto /tmp
on diskless machines.
Once I had a local hard disk union mounted over a
read-only NFS /usr/src. This worked basically as long
as I didn't touch the local filesystem directly; the reason
I stopped it was that there was no speed increase worth the
effort - probably due to the expensive NFS directory lookups.

best regards
Matthias