Subject: Re: pciide problems...?
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 01/05/1999 10:44:21
On Dec 31, Mason Loring Bliss wrote
> Hi, all.
>
> I just built a new kernel, and I've switched over to using PCI-IDE. On bootup,
> I see some problems, and I'm curious about them. I don't see any such problems
> using the ISA-IDE code.
>
> I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to explain the following errors to me:
>
> wd0d:  aborted command, bad block detected reading fsbn 0 (wd0 bn 0; cn 0 tn 0 sn 0), retrying
> wd0: transfert error, downgrading to DMA mode 2
> wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2 (using DMA data transfers)
> wd0d:  aborted command, bad block detected reading fsbn 0 (wd0 bn 0; cn 0 tn 0 sn 0), retrying
> wd0: soft error (corrected)
> wd0: no disk label
> wd1d:  aborted command, bad block detected reading fsbn 0 (wd1 bn 0; cn 0 tn 0 sn 0), retrying
> wd1: transfert error, downgrading to DMA mode 2
> wd1(pciide0:1:0): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2 (using DMA data transfers)
> wd1d:  aborted command, bad block detected reading fsbn 0 (wd1 bn 0; cn 0 tn 0 sn 0), retrying
> wd1: soft error (corrected)

Sounds like your wd0 and wd1 claims to be Ultra-DMA capable, but the
first Ultra-DMA data tranfert fails with some kind of error (the error
reported, "bad block detected" is strange anyway ... I'll look at the errors
definitions, maybe they are wrong for DMA commands). After 2 failures, the
driver downgrade to DMA mode 2, which seems to work better.
The fact that both drives fails the same way would point out some kind
of hardware problem ...