Subject: Re: SMC9334B Dual Channel EtherPower II 10/100 NIC
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Newhouse <newhouse@pimin.rockhead.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/17/1998 18:59:10
Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> writes:

>On Thu, 17 Dec 1998 12:03:46 -0800 (PST)
> Paul Newhouse <newhouse@pimin.rockhead.com> wrote:
>
> > Platform i386.
> >
> > Is the mentioned card supported in -current?  Anybody know
> > for sure?
>
>My "epic" driver will talk to the single-channel version.
>The one you have is probably 2 EPICs behind a PCI-PCI bridge.

Well, in fact, I don't have one. Since the perfectly marvelous
FA310TX has apparently been turned into a piece of junk by some
pointy haired .... well, anyway, I was looking around at the
prices on other cards that work (or might work) with NetBSD.
The dual channel thing is a bit pricey (~$195 each, cheaper per
port than the last 4-port Tulip card I priced) BUT, I'm putting
together a switch (orignally with 5 FA310TX's) and might spring
for one (or two) if they work (or appear they might) on NetBSD
(that would give me a 6 or 7 port switch instead of 5).

I don't know if it's a dual EPIC chip or not (makes sense but,
might not be?). I'll see if they'll tell me!?!?! Not sure if
you can determine anything from the picture at:

   http://www.smc.com/network/lan/fastdpci.html

later,
Paul