Subject: Re: sendmail licensing again
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/12/1998 04:40:24
> Recursive make systems also lend the impression that make can be easily
> bypassed by running commands directly.  This is ever so much more
> difficult if the source isn't in the same directory where you're doing
> the build.

huh?

The first thing I do when troubleshooting a large recursive make is to cd
over into the directory where the failure occurred, type 'make' to reproduce
the failure, and then cut&paste the command line into my shell to start
playing with it (via history editing).

I consider it ESSENTIAL that I be able to reproduce every 'make' command
line with an interactive shell so that I can debug compilation problems.
Every time I see people's builds depending on magic environment variable
values I get the itch to kill something.

Compared to the build environment I have to put up with at work (on unix,
don't even ask me about the horror we've created for win32), NetBSD is
HEAVEN.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com