Subject: Re: sendmail licensing again
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/11/1998 13:28:59
On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> I don't know exactly how much it qualifies, but yes, I've commercially
> distributed NetBSD, but always as if the entire thing were covered by
> the FSF GNU GPL -- I.e. full kernel source is shipped on the machine,
> and the rest of the source is made available on request (it's on our FTP
> servers).

Congratulations, you've just violated the GPL!

Or did you forget to mention that you provided a written guarantee
to each customer that, on request, you would make that exact version
of the source available to them at any time in the next three years?
Also, are you keeping *every* version of the source? You can't just
check it out just because nobody uses it any more. You have to wait
for the three years to expire before you can do that.

I suggest you start tarring up /usr/src/gnu and putting that on
their hard drives when you ship a machine; that will solve your
problem.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.