Subject: Re: sendmail licensing again
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/11/1998 12:50:05
On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Greg A. Woods wrote:

: However it doesn't really matter to me one way or another.  I just think
: the segregation of "foreign" code in the tree is a *bad*, *Evil*, thing.
:
: Why not segregate the GPLed binaries too!?!?!?!?!?  How's an end user to
: know what they stand a chance of fixing otherwise?????

You're saying the same *overly assuming* statement again.

You don't have to segregate GPL binaries.  You can distribute them with a
binary distribution as long as you provide a reasonable, free way of
obtaining their source code.  You must also not claim a fee for only the
GPL-ed executables as part of the aggregate work, but you may charge a fee
for the aggregate work.

Since a commercial distributor must have a way to distribute the GPL-ed
source, we put it under gnu/ to make this an easy task for maintainers and
commercial distributors.

Is that so difficult to deal with, much less understand?