Subject: Re: aix7xxx problems with negotiating "Ultra" speeds....
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/10/1998 18:02:48
[ On Thu, December 10, 1998 at 09:56:21 (-0800), Phil Nelson wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: aix7xxx problems with negotiating "Ultra" speeds....
>
> >Of course I'm coming at this from the point of view of a user who wants
> >100% reliability and error handling in the storage subsystem, and I
> >don't care if that means forcing me onto newer and more trustworthy
> >hardware.
>
> I'm also for reliability and error handling ... as much as the current
> hardware allows.  Not everyone can go out and buy new hardware when
> a new rev of the OS comes out.  (I'm in that class.)  So we must work
> at making use of the new hardware without making the OS quit working
> on the older hardware.  New features may not be available on old
> hardware, but the OS should still be able to function with the
> improvements that can be used by the hardware.

I agree, which is why I said it that way.

If I'm going to keep using hardware that cannot make use of the the
latest greatest features then I'm going to be happy with that.

However if I need higher reliability and better error handling then I
don't want to be mislead that either the newer hardware will alone
suffice, or that the snazzier software will give me what I want without
forcing me to spend money on the necessary hardware.

--
							Greg A. Woods