Subject: Re: aix7xxx problems with negotiating "Ultra" speeds....
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/10/1998 17:47:01
[ On Thu, December 10, 1998 at 09:25:28 (-0800), Jason Thorpe wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: aix7xxx problems with negotiating "Ultra" speeds....
>
> On Thu, 10 Dec 1998 02:35:50 -0500 (EST)
>  woods@most.weird.com (Greg A. Woods) wrote:
>
>  > Perhaps there really is a way to support "broken" hardware with the old
>  > drivers and still allow the rest of us to get newer reliable and more
>  > flexible drivers on "good" hardware, though in the interests of
>  > correctness and such, I really don't care.  PCs *suck* -- who cares if
>  > you have to run 1.3.x or older on broken hardware????
>
> You are REALLY missing the point; NetBSD runs on a lot more than PCs.
>
> Are _you_ going to be the one to tell the sun3, vax, newsmips, riscpc, and
> macintosh users that they can't run NetBSD anymore?

What part of my paragraph suggests that I would want to run NetBSD+CAM
on only a PC?????

Until last week I only had one "Intel Inside" machine in the house, and
it was running BSDI-1.1.  I now have a couple more, and one will run
-current, but my primary server will continue to be a Sparc-2, and I've
got other sparcs and sun-3s and alphas around here too.

Hopefully those who implement CAM on NetBSD won't do it only for PCs.

If FreeBSD's implementation of CAM doesn't include support for some
non-PCs host adapters (and I wouldn't really expect it to yet), then
clearly such support needs to be added as part of the process of
adopting it, and I thought that idea was self-evident.

What I meant by "PCs ... broken hardware" was that if some less modern
PC host adapters wouldn't work with CAM, which is supposedly the case
with the FreeBSD implementation, then that should not be a stumbling
block that prevents CAM integration in NetBSD and that anyone caught
with such hardware can continue to run 1.3.x (or whatever is the last
release branch to support the old framework) until such time as there's
time to add support for their hardware.

--
							Greg A. Woods