Subject: Re: aix7xxx -- A Suggestion!
To: None <mjacob@feral.com>
From: David Carrel <carrel@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/10/1998 09:36:00
OK, allow me to make a suggestion here.  I would like to see the FreeBSD
CAM code ported to NetBSD.  I think an appropriate way to do this is to
make it available via ftp on ftp.netbsd.org while it develops.  Many pieces
of code go this route.  If they evolve to a point where NetBSD want's it in
the main sources, then great!  If not, hopefully some other code will come
along.  But by having this code ported to NetBSD, we can learn what we like
and what we don't like about it.

Matt, you have expressed interest in doing this work.  Please do.  Other's
have expressed interest in working on it too.  If a branch in the CVS
repository helps do joint development, then please use that.

At a minimum it seems the code must be ported to work with NetBSD's bus_dma
as is.  It must also allow one to build a kernel with either CAM or the
current SCSI.  There are many other goals people have mentioned on this
list.  Such things as simultaneous co-existance with the current SCSI,
ATAPI and much more.  These are things to look into once an initial port is
done.  I'm sure many more suggestions will come along.  Hopefully dialog
will continue and all suggestions will be considered.

No one can/will promise that this code will make it into the main code
base.  But this is definitely a good path.  Either the code will make it
in, or we will learn from it.  I think the PCMCIA code is a great example.
There was code available for ftp for a long time.  It was useful, and I
think people learned from it.  Eventually it was scrapped for a complete
re-write, but that doesn't mean the old code wasn't very valuable.

Thanks for listening!

Dave