Subject: Re: turning sendmail into a symlink
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/10/1998 11:02:54
On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, der Mouse wrote:

: I don't wish to join in this on either side, per se; I do, however,
: want to point out that both styles (of which we can assume sendmail and
: what was it, qmail I think, are paradigmmatic examples) can be
: accommodated with a change-one-symlink scheme.
:
: /usr/sbin/sendmail -> /etc/mailer/sendmail
: /usr/bin/mailq -> /etc/mailer/mailq
:
: /etc/mailer -> /etc/mailers/sendmail, or /etc/mailer/qmail
:
: /etc/mailers/sendmail -> /some/path
: /etc/mailers/qmail -> /some/other/path
:
: /some/path/sendmail is the sendmail binary
: /some/path/mailq is a link (hard or soft) to sendmail
:
: /some/other/path/qmail is the qmail sendmail-alike
: /some/other/path/mailq is the qmail mailq-alike

Yes, this sounds MUCH better.  I haven't heard from Perry on this, but now
I'm leaning towards advocating it.  It preserves the very low overhead of
the symlinks, yet works for `everything'.

The sendmail-as-shipped path would probably be best as a subdir of libexec
(replace /some/path for sendmail above with, say, /usr/libexec/sendmail).