Subject: Re: aix7xxx problems with negotiating "Ultra" speeds....
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org, woods@most.weird.com>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/09/1998 23:54:51
> From: woods@most.weird.com (Greg A. Woods)
>:::
> CAM *must* eventually get into NetBSD if NetBSD is to keep current with
> SCSI standards.  Whether or not the FreeBSD implementation is integrated
> is a separate and subordinate question.

"*must*"?!  Why do you say that?  Standards that don't make it need not be
adopted. Sometimes it can be quite harmful to follow a dead standard.

The ANSI CAM spec has been [1] around for a long time, and [2] kind of a
dud, adopted by only a couple of system vendors.

Be careful about those authoritive-sounding pronouncements. :-)

We do need some SCSI improvements. The main reason we are looking at the
FreeBSD CAM work is because there are some problems that need to be fixed
in old SCSI, because we may want to use the new drivers, and because we
may want to share other development effort.

  --Ross Harvey