Subject: Re: aix7xxx problems with negotiating "Ultra" speeds....
To: None <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 12/09/1998 21:05:46
On Tue 08 Dec 1998, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> >  > I'll do the work if the consensus is to have CAM in NetBSD. But I won't
> >  > push for the decision.
> >
> > The correct answer is "port is so it can be reasonably evaluated" :-)
> >

> No, evaluate as to whether the technology and implementation is desirable
> within NetBSD before someone goes to the substantial effort to get it into
> NetBSD, only to find it doesn't meet with vox populi approval.

I think Matthew is right here. A major undertaking like this should be
backed by 'core'. I think that 'core' should state something like:
  - if it performs at least as well as the current system
  - if it works at least as well as the current system wrt. error
    recovery, command handling etc.
it will be accepted.

Or 'core' should reject it before any real effort is made of course. I
don't think the project can afford to _spill_ the amount of braincycles
needed for a major overhawl of the SCSI system.

Just my fl. 0.02,

Leo.