Subject: internettime (was Re: leap second?)
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew ALDOUS <mda@bdl.mhri.edu.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/09/1998 14:50:04
Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

> Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com> writes:
> > I sort of wonder what apps that extra second might break?
>
> undoubtedly the same sort of apps that the previous other leap seconds
> would break.  i.e. 'badly written ones.'  8-)

While I'm thinking about time (guess who is doing y2k compliance checks),
how difficult would it be to have something that reported "internettime" ?
(http://www.swatch.com/internettime/)

*I* personally think it's a good idea. If you don't know what it is, it's
basically 1000 "swatch beats" in a day. (86.4 seconds per beat). This means
I can just say "@197" to someone in a different timezone, and not have
to worry about geopolitical timezone shifts, etc. (I managed to be 2 hours
early to a web conference after daylight savings changed a while ago.)

If you're practically awake 24hrs a day on the net, it might appeal. :)

I suppose what I'd really like to know, is if it is possible to do something
like this, or is it really hardware tied - or would break waaay too many
things. (how tricky is it to redefine a second?) - Mmm. no more timezones :)

food for thought.

matthew.

|Matthew Aldous. Brain Dynamics Laboratory, Mental Health Research Institute.|
|Locked Bag 11, Parkville, Victoria, Australia, 3052. http://www.mhri.edu.au/|