Subject: Re: aix7xxx problems with negotiating "Ultra" speeds....
To: None <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@plutotech.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/08/1998 00:09:20
>In message <Pine.LNX.4.04.9812072250070.28802-100000@feral-gw>, Matthew Jacob
>rites:
>>I'll do the work if the consensus is to have CAM in NetBSD. But I won't
>>push for the decision.
>
>My understanding is that it's hard because FreeBSD's implementation of
>bus_space is different from NetBSD's.  As I recall, this turns instantly
>into a "but this is unportable" "but this is inefficient" war, but it's
>still a technical barrier to importing CAM.

The bus_space and bus_dma interfaces in FreeBSD differ from NetBSD
for two reasons:

1) I haven't found the time to synchronize the FreeBSD implementation with
   changes made in the NetBSD API since I pulled this stuff into FreeBSD.

2) Some architectural changes that allow some platforms to implement a
faster, less resource consuming, bus dma interface.

I talked with Jason for a bit about item 2 while at USENIX, and the
consensus was that these changes may be of interest to NetBSD.  The ball is
still in my court, however, since before a real dialog can begin on merging
the APIs, I need to document the FreeBSD one completely.

I hope to address both of these issues along with completing some
long overdue documentation on CAM, over my Christmas vacation.

--
Justin