Subject: Re: Versioning?
To: Trouble Free RecepPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/07/1998 15:57:35
greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com (Trouble Free RecepPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF) writes:
> Just curious.  I mean, what are the criteria for bumping the minor version
> up as opposed to bumping / adding a branch ID?
>
> We're currently at 1.3I [at least I am]; is this effectively 1.3.3 or
> is it 1.3.2++?

"bumped minor" == "new branch from trunk."

"bumped teeny" == "new set of patches to an existing branch."

Way back before 1.3 was done, a branch was made in NetBSD's CVS tree.
1.3 was released from the sources on that branch.  Subsequently, 1.3.1
and 1.3.2 were released from sources on that branch.  Similarly, 1.3.3
will be released from sources based on that branch.  The difference
between 1.3 and 1.3.2 or 1.3.3 should be describable by a relatively
short list (a few thousand lines) of change log entries/messages,
describing the changes from the main development code (the trunk) as
of the time the branch was made.

1.4, on the other hand, will be cut from an entirely new branch on the trunk.

1.3I is "-current before 1.4's release cycle has started."  (same as
1.3A, etc.)  If you try to install 1.3.3 over, say, 1.3I, you'll lose
badly; in terms of features, APIs, etc., 1.3.3 is a _downgrade_ from
1.3I.

Some of this information can be had from the web pages, but not much;
somebody should document it all better.

> Again, just curiosity; please don't flame me for asking "stupid" questions
> (a truly stupid question is one to which you already know the answer)...

I have no problem with your question, but I do take issue with the
apparent tone in which you asked your question.  You said:

> I notice we seem to be balking at calling the next release 1.4; we're
> calling it 1.3.3.  What comes out after that, 1.3.3.1?

That could be phrased much more nicely, in particular it doesn't have
to:

	use the royal we.  (last i checked, you weren't involved in
	NetBSD release engineering, though if you'd like to spend a
	lot of time doing what amounts to almost-thankless 'scut'
	work, you certainly should feel free to volunteer 8-).

	accuse the project refusing to proceed with a 1.4-ish release.
	(you used the word 'balk,' and if you don't know what it means
        you should choose your words more, or perhaps less, carefully)

	make what sounds like it was intended as a sarcastic
	suggestion about potential future version numbers.

cgd