Subject: Re: 100baseT ethernet card questions
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Scott Bartram <scottb@orionsoft.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/07/1998 18:39:28
On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Dec 1998 16:13:21 -0500 (EST)
>  Scott Bartram <scottb@orionsoft.com> wrote:
>
>  > Two weeks after purchasing a NetGear FA-310TX card with a Digital chip, I
>  > ordered another and it came with the "new" Lite-On PNIC chip. Is anyone
>  > working on code to support this chip? I can test/debug.
>
> I don't know the status of this one, but...

I thought I remember someone (maybe Charles?) saying they had some
preliminary diffs. I'll check the archives.

>  > I've also got a generic card with an RTL-8139 chip. According to the Linux
>  > driver docs, this chip is completely different than the 80x9. Anyone
>  > working on that one?
>
> I have a driver, and a card, but I'm having problems with it... it transmits
> the first frame correctly, and then never transmits another one.  I'm still
> hunting this one down.

OK. Let me know if you need another tester.

>  > To make matters even more frustrating, I've got an SMC EtherPower II that
>  > suffers from the "epic0: timeout" problem.
>
> ...this one, too.  I suspect it is problems with the EPIC hardware itself.
> The FreeBSD people have reported similar problems with their (completely
> different) driver.

The Linux driver page lists all kinds of hardware problems they try to
work around. I wish I had seen it before I spent money on the card ;-)

So, knowing all this now, what is considered the most solid 100Mb chipset
supported by NetBSD?

scott