Subject: Re: pkgsrc KDE hangs?
To: Rafal Boni <rafal@raptor.com>
From: Guenther Grau <Guenther.Grau@bk.bosch.de>
List: current-users
Date: 12/07/1998 20:14:48
Rafal Boni wrote:
>         I seem to have quite a bit of trouble with KFM, namely that
>         it will lock up my whole machine after some small amount of
>         time (< 10 minutes, generally).  I'm not running out of swap
>         (last time I froze I was running a 'pstat -s' every 3 seconds
>         and the last pstat ouput had my swap usage at 3Meg out of 64
>         Meg total (the machine has 32Meg phys. memory).
>
>         If I don't use KFM, I generally get pretty good uptime out of
>         KDE... Last time I built world, I had a few xterms, a kvt and
>         some other misc. stuff running and the build completed without
>         any problems or hangs.
>
>         Anyone see similar occurrences??

No. Which architecture, which compiler, ...?
You could try to build a kernel with debugger and try to enter
if when it happens. Is the machine on a network? If so, does it
respond to a ping? If so, can you try to login? If so, which
processes are running? Did you try it with a different X server?
It might be that only the X server is frozen? ...? ...? :-)

  Guenther