Subject: Re: large IDE disk (10GB) and -current
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@earthlink.net>
From: Aidan Cully <aidan@kublai.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/06/1998 02:07:54
On Sat, Dec 05, 1998 at 09:54:36PM -0500, Laine Stump wrote:
> What have others done with large disks like this? Do I have any chance of
> making it work with 1.3.1 (maybe by doing the disklabel by hand)? I'd

Editing the disklabel by hand worked for us on a 17gig disk we're using
on our news-xfer box..  What we did was
1) manually create the disklabel (I've had nothing but hard times making
sysinst create the kind of disklabel I want), and
2) set up one of our machines as a file server for the install host.  We
tarred up a userland and put that in the export root, and untarred it
directly on the xfer box,
but we only did it that way because we've got a pretty nice rdist setup
for synchronizing all our machines that made doing it this way particularly
easy.

The version of netbsd we're running on that box is current as of Nov. 4th,
so my experience isn't really relevant to which version of netbsd you want
to use..  Just thought you'd like to know it _is_ possible to make NetBSD
work with large disks.

--aidan