Subject: turning sendmail into a symlink
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org, current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/05/1998 12:32:45
In order to make life easier on people who use alternate mailers, and
in order to make integration of Postfix (a new mailer I'm considering
integrating in addition to sendmail for 1.4), I am proposing that
/usr/sbin/sendmail turn into a symlink to /usr/sbin/sendmail.real, and
that mailq and newaliases, which are currently hard linked to
sendmail, turn into symbolic links.

This will allow people to do things like "make build" without blowing
away their qmail or Postfix setup, and will allow people to switch
what mailer they are using merely by changing the symlink of
/usr/sbin/sendmail from sendmail.real to postfix or one of the fleet
of qmail programs or whatever else seems reasonable.

Comments?

Perry