Subject: Re: mbrlabel bug
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 11/25/1998 10:19:50
> 	off_t loff = (off_t)off * DEV_BSIZE;

> 	warning: `loff' might be used uninitialized in this funtion

As I recall, this was discussed a while ago and the conclusion was that
it's an optimizer bug in the 68k compiler.  Something about how a quad
gets split into its two halves and some piece of the compiler doesn't
recognize that they go together.  I can't recall which list, but
grepping archives for "might be used uninitialized" will probably
identify the list.

I don't recall seeing any resolution mentioned, though I think playing
with optimization options (turning it off, or on, or something) was
reported to make the warning go away.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca