Subject: PR 4094
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@solidum.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/24/1998 18:46:49
  [Hey, Perry, am I allowed to close my own PRs?? Well, at least not without
discussion.]

  I had suggested last year that our conf.c should be more friendly to
people doing custom work that might not make it back into the distribution
soon (or ever...)

  We've had discussions about the problems of allocating major device numbers
for projects that either aren't in the tree yet, or will never be, or are
just for experimentation.
  I don't have a full solution, but PR 4094 was one suggestion.

  I'm about to redo the patch for -current, and since the highest major
number is now 61, I'll probably  skip it until 80 for experimental stuff.
  If this is acceptable, I'll do the same for ports other than i386.
    option CUSTOM_DRIVER_DEFS

  would get your local definitions included, and makeoptions is also
needed to locate them.

   :!mcr!:            |  Network and security consulting/contract programming
   Michael Richardson |         Firewalls, TCP/IP and Unix administration
 Personal: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html
 Corporate: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/SSW/
	ON HUMILITY: To err is human, to moo bovine.