Subject: Re: "BSD Authentication"
To: Ted Lemon , Dave Sainty <dave@dtsp.co.nz>
From: Shyeah right. What am I gonna do with a gun rack? <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/24/1998 12:20:50
Ted Lemon sez:
/*
 *
 * > Heh, I can't think of an easier way to grab a sites root password. :)
 * >
 * > Come to think of it, NT does just this....  How funny...
 *
 * Actually, NT has a solution for this.   You know how it tells you to
 * type CTL-ALT-DEL to log in?   It turns out that there's a reason for
 * this bogosity - CTL-ALT-DEL is a sequence that user processes are
 * prevented from trapping.   It will _always_ get you to a real login
 * screen.   If NT lets you type in the superuser password to get out of
 * the screen saver, that's a bug, but they do have a secure way for the
 * administrator to reclaim control of the console.

NT will let you type in an administrator password to get out of the
screen saver BUT:  It will then alert you that it is about to close
all running processes without saving any changes and it will ask
DO YOU REALLY WANT TO DO THIS?

That, and to get out of the screen saver, you need to subscribe to
alt.ctrl.del to get the password screen.

I wondered why NT was so brain-dead about that.

 */

				--*greywolf;
--
Have A Nice Day.  (This may be pronounced differently in New York or Boston.)