Subject: Re: "BSD Authentication"
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: dustin sallings <dustin@spy.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/23/1998 22:43:35
On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Ted Lemon wrote:

// My general impression at this point is that PAM is a lot easier to
// configure than BSD/os.  Can people confirm or counter that
// impression?  Having said that, I don't think anybody's identified a
// customer for this feature, although several people have individually
// said that they would like it.  Who is the customer for this?

	People who want general system authentication mechanisms beyond
simple password authentication or NIS.  For instance, SecurID, cryptocard,
RADIUS, SQL, LDAP, hesiod, plain-o DNS TXT records, whatever.  It gives
the SA's the power to create an authentication system, and launch it for
everything that might require authentication all at once instead of
modifying each and every server type thing on their system to accomplish
this.

--
SA, beyond.com                            The world is watching America,
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>