Subject: Re: "BSD Authentication"
To: David Holland <dholland@cs.toronto.edu>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/23/1998 19:07:20
On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, David Holland wrote:

:  > Crash recovery dictates that we should be able to deal with a process going
:  > away for whatever reason, including an exec()'d shell.
:
: well, right. So what do you do to cause, say, kerberos ticket cleanup?
: Leave notes someplace for init or telnetd or whoever's going to clean
: up the session? I suppose that's possible but it seems awfully messy.

Well, what does kerberos do now?  It's not as if Kerberos hasn't been in
widespread use already....  :>

: One of the things that annoyed me about Linux PAM (and they may have
: fixed it, but I have my doubts) is that it put PAM session management
: in places other than the corresponding stuff for the existing session
: management code, like utmp manipulation. This bothered me.

Hm.  Well, a better implementation is what NetBSD's all about.