Subject: Re: "BSD Authentication"
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/23/1998 15:01:56
buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu (Brian Buhrow) writes:
> 3.  With the NetBSD binary compatibility mode already in full swing for a
> variety of *nix OS's, including Solaris, Linux and FreeBSD, PAM modules
> which came in binary packages could run alongside other PAM modules which
> were native to NetBSD with the same configuration files controlling all of
> them.

Uh, doubt it.

Our emulation model works such that a given binary uses a given
syscall table, etc.  That's not unreasonable.

In other words, even if there weren't any binary format issues, you
_could not_, say, use a Linux PAM module from a NetBSD application or
vice-versa.  There's not really a good way to allow this.  (There are
several bad ways I can think of off-hand, but ... ay!)

If you really want to do this, it's actually an argument for the BSD
Auth system.  Since the authenticator is a separate program, it could
be emulated, native, or whatever, assuming the binary protocol used to
talk to the authenticator really was the same on both systems.

cgd