Subject: Re: dhclient vs. Shaw cable modem
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 11/23/1998 09:21:29
John Nemeth writes:
> On Nov 10,  4:05pm, Ted Lemon wrote:
> }
> } It may be that you can win by adding the following to your
> } dhclient.conf:
> }
> } 	send dhcp-client-identifier "cs840999-a";
> }
> } I am assuming that you aren't going to boot both the Win95 machine and
> } the NetBSD machine at once - if so, don't do that.   The reason I
> } think that sending that string in the client identifier will work is
> } that I suspect your ISP is only willing to let you have one IP
> } address, which is fixed to a particular client identifier.   If that
> } is the case, you need to send the same identification your Win95 box
> } is sending.
>
>      Okay, I've been working on it some more (did have a bit of a
> delay due to a problem with the cable modem).  Anyways, I've read RFC
> 2132 (DHCP Options), hacked on dhclient, and have come pretty close to
> duplicating the packet from the Win95 box,

Having just gotten a cable modem hooked up last week (and, like you, waiting
for some cable modem problems to be sorted out) I've got a NetBSD box quite
happily doing dhcp/ipf/ipnat to a Shaw@Home cable connection.  My
dhclient.conf, in full, looks like:

interface "ne1" {
    send dhcp-client-identifier "cs22234-a";
}

(Note that I think "cs22234-a" should be "cs822234-a", but the former is what
the installation smurf entered when he set stuff up in WinNT, and so I'm just
copying what he entered).

> but I still don't get any
> response from the DHCP server.  Here are more packet samples:
[snip]

> I did try
> cheating and using the one from the Win95 box, but that didn't have
> any effect.  Anyways, I have a couple of questions: first, what is
> "tos" in the NetBSD example; second, what can I do to make them match
> even closer, in particular, get rid of "tos" and up the ttl?  BTW, T50
> is requested-ip-address, and probably isn't important.

[sorry, don't know the answers to any of the above..]

> This is my current dhclient.conf:
>
> interface "ep0" {
>         default default-ip-ttl 32;
>         send dhcp-client-identifier 1:0:a0:24:c8:90:67;
>         send host-name "CS840999-a";
> }

I think the dhcp-client-identifier has to be the "csxxxxx-a" thingy, no?
(I don't think it cares what ethernet card is hooked up, as I've never had to
specify a MAC address anywhere...)

> I made several attempts to up the ttl, but nothing I tried worked.
>
>      BTW, we have discovered that it's possible to get multiple IP
> addresses simply by using the same 'host-name'.

You'll probably get multiple IP addresses until you get a valid DHCP
connection and get a proper lease noted in /var/db/dhclient.leases
(at least that's what happened to me until I got things setup..)

Later...

Greg Oster

oster@cs.usask.ca
Department of Computer Science
University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, CANADA