Subject: Re: How to...
To: None <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: current-users
Date: 11/23/1998 16:12:53
Hi,

> Hum. I used this several times without problems, I guess I was lucky.
> Would a 'disklabel -N xxx' help ?

Judging from a short glimpse into sd.c and wd.c it looks like write-enabling
the label or not doesn't make any difference at all, if you access the disk
through the raw partition.  The only thing it does is prevent write access
to the label sector through any other partition than the raw one.

> > BTW, note that the changed incore-only disklabel will be lost on the
> > last close of a partition.
>
> This is only true for removable media, or did I miss something ?
> However, I'll probably fix this for SCSI removable media 'soon'.

Hmm, looking a bit closer it seems as though the wd driver doesn't have this
problem, but the sd driver does.  Note that this doesn't directly correspond
to removable/fixed media, but depends only on the driver used.

Ciao,
Wolfgang
--
ws@TooLs.DE     (Wolfgang Solfrank, TooLs GmbH) 	+49-228-985800