Subject: Re: RAIDframe, anyone?
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@cs.rmit.edu.au>
List: current-users
Date: 11/23/1998 09:17:29
Andrew Gillham writes:
> The machine is only a 486/33, so performance is not great.  It took almost
> 2 hours to rewrite parity on the array. I'm seeing about 650K/s writes
> and 1.5MB/s reads.  This is on an Adaptec 1542B controller.  I doubt
> my machine could ever exceed 3MB/s on the bare drive, more likely less
> than 2MB/s.  So.. my assumption is that reads on RAID-5 should approach
> reads on RAID-0, so I'm curious how ccd will compare on these disks.
> If I have time, I'll redo the drives as a ccd.

I'd be very surprised if you got more than 1.3 - 1.5MB/s through an
AHA1542B (or any other ISA SCSI controller), no matter how fast the
drive is (that's been my experience anyway). So it appears that your
reads are limited by the controller I/O not by RAIDframe.

It would be interesting to compare the results against a similar
machine using EISA or PCI SCSI instead (I have a 486 M/B with a
PCI SCSI controller).