Subject: Re: RAIDframe, anyone?
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@cs.rmit.edu.au>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/22/1998 17:30:12
Luke Mewburn writes:

> I'd be very surprised if you got more than 1.3 - 1.5MB/s through an
> AHA1542B (or any other ISA SCSI controller), no matter how fast the
> drive is (that's been my experience anyway). So it appears that your
> reads are limited by the controller I/O not by RAIDframe.

Using a simple dd I get:
dd if=/dev/sd1e of=/dev/null bs=128k count=256	about 1.3MB/s
dd if=/dev/rsd1e of=/dev/null bs=128k count=256	about 2.2MB/s

> It would be interesting to compare the results against a similar
> machine using EISA or PCI SCSI instead (I have a 486 M/B with a
> PCI SCSI controller).

I have a 486DX2/66 with an EISA 1742 that I can probably get going
to test.  I don't have a 486/33 EISA readily available, but I could
test the 1542B in the EISA box.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone that has tested large
EIDE drives (~10GB) with RAIDframe or just ccd.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.