Subject: Re: Recent kernels panics (MMU Fault)
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@mediator.uni-c.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 11/22/1998 22:59:31
On Fri, Nov 20, 1998 at 04:22:50PM -0500, Ken Hornstein wrote:
> >For the last 3-5 days (since about the time of detachable devices ?),
> >current kernels on my Quadra 610 have been unusable. They die,
> >typically with 'Panic: MMU fault trap" during rc file processing.
>
> A co-worker has seem a similar thing; he believes it to be a optimization
> bug.  Can you try compiling the kernel without optimization?
>
> --Ken

After having done some more experiments, I tend to agree with your colleague.

Now some of my kernel is compiled with -O2 (the default) and some with -O0,
and I'm running a kernel built from today's sources.

It is not completely stable, however, sometimes it panics with a bus error,
and issuing a reboot command from ddb provokes (or reveals) the MMU fault
trap.

As a sidetrack, I'm doing a stepwise hunt for discovering which files
must not be compiled with -O0, as a kernel built completely with -O0
hangs just after printing the copyright string.

If I can complete this sidetrack reasonably quick, I'll go back to the
original track to find out which files seem to provoke the MMU fault
during rc file processing with -O2 (if this is really the cause). It may
take quite a bit of time before you hear from me again, as I'm going
out of town most of next week.

- Erik